BIND 9 AAAA record problems

wbwither at bobball.uchicago.edu wbwither at bobball.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 24 05:47:57 UTC 2004

Jim Reid wrote:

> So find out what's making those AAAA queries and fix it.

Evidently this machine *always* starts out with an AAAA query.  Yes, it's
pointless and a waste of bandwidth to do so, and I should fix it, but I
didn't even realize it until I got knee-deep into this DNS server setup.
But, on the bright side, most of the time the AAAA query doesn't get in
the way (although a few domains are broken in the same way that mine
hopefully *was*), and it also led me to discover this mistake with my
nameserver.
> BTW, why is
> that application querying your ISP's name server and not your own name
> server?

Because I was in the process of setting up my name server and I needed to
use the Internet to look up problems I was having in the meantime ;)  It's
using my nameserver now.
> The delegation for efori.com is broken. The .com name servers say this
> is served by ns{1,2}.efori.com: 65.182.78.13{3,4}. [You should have one
> of these servers on another net, but that's a different mistake to be
> fixed.] Both of these two servers say efori.com is served by
> dns1.efori.com, which is a name that doesn't exist.

Ok, thanks for pointing that out.  It's fixed now (I think).  As for the
two servers being on different networks, maybe that will happen when it
needs to.  For the moment, all of my hosts (mail, www, dns, etc.) are on
the same network, so if DNS goes out then probably *all* of my stuff is
out, so it doesn't matter IMHO.