BIND 9 AAAA record problems

Todd T. Fries todd at fries.net
Mon Jun 28 14:55:32 UTC 2004

Why is it a bad thing to start out with AAAA?  Proper getaddrinfo()
implementations should query first an AAAA then an A record for names,
so that applications can then connect to whatever is appropriate.

It is all part of a `seamless' transition to v6 that has started, albiet
slowly.

For whatever it is worth, the libc in OpenBSD behaves this way, and I
quite am pleased that it does.

It's not a bug, it's a feature ;-)