recursive service and forward

Michael michael at insulin-pumpers.org
Fri Jun 25 19:04:24 UTC 2004

I'd like to know if there is a way to configure BIND so that a server
with this configuration:

zone "myzone.com" in {
  type forward;
  forward only;
  forwarders {
    1.2.3.4 port 1234;
  }
}

will supply recursive service?

The purpose for this... I'm running a dnsbl where the active records are
maintained and modified on a continual basis by a number of different
daemons and processes that run independently. It is possible for this set
of processes to answer an axfr request from bind, but the zone file is
immense and for the bind daemon to stay current would consume large
resources. Having bind operate as forward only provides caching and
robust service to the "outside" without the need to maintain a zonefile.
So.... how does one configure bind to do this. I guess the question is
how to get bind to respond authoratatively for this zone. Is this doable
with the current distribution or a potential "feature" request.

Michael
Michael at Insulin-Pumpers.org