recursive service and forward

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 25 22:52:43 UTC 2004

Michael wrote:

>I'd like to know if there is a way to configure BIND so that a server
>with this configuration:
>
>zone "myzone.com" in {
>  type forward;
>  forward only;
>  forwarders {
>    1.2.3.4 port 1234;
>  }
>}
>
>will supply recursive service?
>
>The purpose for this... I'm running a dnsbl where the active records are
>maintained and modified on a continual basis by a number of different
>daemons and processes that run independently. It is possible for this set
>of processes to answer an axfr request from bind, but the zone file is
>immense and for the bind daemon to stay current would consume large
>resources. Having bind operate as forward only provides caching and
>robust service to the "outside" without the need to maintain a zonefile.
>So.... how does one configure bind to do this. I guess the question is
>how to get bind to respond authoratatively for this zone.

Well, that's a *different* question. Yes, it will supply recursive
service, unless you have turned off recursion globally via "recursion
no" or to a specific client or range via "allow-recursion". But no, it
will not respond authoritatively, because it isn't authoritative. Only
masters or slaves are authoritative.

Perhaps you should look at the "sdb" stuff in BIND 9. See doc/misc/sdb.
You can perhaps use BIND to merely frontend all of these other "daemons
and processes", but unless someone has already written the SDB part (see
contrib/sdb), you'll probably have to end up writing it yourself...