Reverse DNS delegation problem

Chittaranjan Mandal Chittaranjan.Mandal at iitkgp.ac.in
Tue Jun 29 13:14:42 UTC 2004

[Reply to message from "Barry Margolin" on Tuesday 29 Jun 2004 5:51 pm]
> > [Reply to message from "Kevin Darcy" on Tuesday 29 Jun 2004 3:59 am]
> >
> > > Do you have forwarding enabled within the part of your named.conf you
> > > didn't show? Forwarding would override delegation. In order to cancel
> > > forwarding for the 10.in-addr.arpa hierarchy, you'd need to add
> > > "forwarders { };" to the apex zone definition.
> >
> > Thanks, your solution worked. But I would like queries that are not
> > served by my local name server to be actually forwarded to some other
> > name server. How can that be done? Note that this particular nameserver
> > is in a local subnet
> > and cannot directly communicate with the external world.
>
> As long as you keep the "forwarders" statement in the global options
> section, that's what should happen.  Kevin Darcy's recommendation only
> disables forwarding for subdomains of 10.in-addr.arpa, by use of:
>
> zone "10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
>         type master;
>         file "rev-iitkgp";
>         forwarders {};
> };

Thanks, that did it. I am now able to resolve both local and external names and IP addresses
with the benefit of local delegation. I still have forwarding enabled in the global options, but have
it locally disabled, as indicated above.

-Chitta