DNS + Web Interface

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Mar 1 23:00:42 UTC 2004

David Botham wrote:

>If anyone thinks this conversation should go off-list, please say so and
>we can yank it to a private list...
>bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 02/27/2004 12:53:15 PM:
>

>>Sorry for not getting back any sooner, I've been traveling and catching
>>

>up
>

>>on phone calls the last 2 days.
>>
>>The only emails I've received were from people who'd been looking for an
>>application like this, but nobody seems to be able to find one.  It
>>

>appears
>

>>to be an easy system to build from scratch, but I'm not sure if I'm
>>underestimating it.
>>

>I guess whether or not you are underestimating it depends on your
>expectations for the system and you particular skill set(s).
>
>I think it could get complicated quickly... But, I am up for it.  Many
>here on this list have there own home grown interfaces.  I would imagine
>that they can't make them public because the grown-ups they work for
>probably consider the interface private IT.

Indeed. I have a homegrown system that basically consists of a web
(Perl/CGI) frontend, a Dynamic Update backend, and a semi-sophisticated
access-control-and-sanity-checking subsystem in the middle.
Unfortunately, it was written entirely on my company's time. They own
it, I can't release any of it without getting an OK from some
bureaucrat, and the hardest part would be finding which bureaucrat could
actually authorize that (sad but true in large corporations such as this
one).

I do urge you to consider using Dynamic Update though. Although a
backend database might be more "industrial strength" for large amounts
of DNS data, the necessity to constantly force the nameserver to reload
the zone data from the database seems to me an unnecessary complication
and possible bottleneck. Plus Dynamic Update gives all sorts of
flexibility for those infrequent and/or unforeseen tasks that shouldn't
really require writing a bunch of SQL code...

Perhaps I should mention that we are starting to use our
Dynamic-Update-based system *in*conjunction* with Lucent's QIP product
(the DNS component of which is basically BIND with a backend RDBMS).
This gives us the best of both worlds -- a robust backend with a
frontend we can tailor entirely to our own needs.

                                                      - Kevin