More Re: DNS + Web Interface

Eric Robibaro robibaro at robibaro.com
Tue Mar 2 22:48:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:26:22 -0600, /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

>[top-posting fixed]
>On Tuesday 02 March 2004 12:09, patrick.hulman at cox.net wrote:
>> > From: /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk>
>> > Perhaps I missed something ... how is this different from the
>> > existing Webmin module? I used it to help myself get started a few
>> > months back, and it seemed to be good enough.
>
>> webmin looks pretty good if you have a couple of zone, but try it
>> with something like 1500+ zones and it's unusable.
>
>I would be curious to know how much a GUI would improve the efficiency
>of maintaining so many zones ... if at all. My suspicion is that it
>would tend to get in the way.
>
>Right now I have just a handful of zones in BIND. I also do occasional
>dabbling in the Zoneedit Web interface on behalf of customers. I find
>that it's more efficient to edit my zone files and "rndc reload" than
>it is to point-and-click through Zoneedit's GUI in the browser. YMMV.
If I may, from handling about 6-7000 zones at present(on 30-some
servers, with different policies, requirements, etc...), the "fun" of
something like webmin isn't that YOU can handle them, having a web
interface's main fun is that you can delegate it, and yet still
provide sensible defaults(and stern warnings not to change anything
from the defaults unless they know what they are doing...)

YMMV