Intermittent timeout problem

Oli Comber oli at niceltowers.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 17:18:35 UTC 2004

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the problem was, but it seems to have
gone away now.

I've rolled my own firewall, but that didn't help.

What I have done though is comment out the 'forwarders' section, which
means, I assume, that my server is now going direct to the top level and
other servers to resolve.

I really don't understand why this should work better/faster: When my
client resolves using my ISPs DNS, everything is fine.  When my DNS uses
my ISP as a forwarder, its very, very slow.  Could this slowness be
because it is actually failing completely and falling back to a direct
lookup?

I may have been mistaken in my original email - whilst it does get
slower over time, it starts off very slow in the first place.

If anyone can educate me, it'd be very much appreciated! :0)

Thanks,
-Oli