sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) Please Help!

Dan Mahoney google at gushi.org
Fri Mar 12 03:47:34 UTC 2004

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:<c2qit2$19hb$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> Dan Mahoney wrote:
>

> >This problem [periodic nameserver senescence with "no addrs found for root NS" errors in the logs] has plagued me across upgrades, and the answer can't be
> >"don't use forward-first", as that negates the whole use of the
> >feature.
> >
> Why would you say that? If your connectivity to your forwarders is more
> reliable than your direct connectivity to the Internet, "forward only"
> quite possibly is a better option for you. With "forward only", you get
> your root-zone information through your forwarders instead of trying to
> get it directly.

Well, my forwarder is on the local lan.  It's losing connectivity as
well, in theory (again, in the event of a 60-second router reboot or
something like that.  I can't randomly take the network down in the
process of testing this, but there's definitely a factor in it.)

Whoever I query, be it a forwarder, or the root server directly, bind
is NOT recovering cleanly from an error condition. (either the
forwarders timing out, or the root servers timing out).  No matter
what, when connectivity is totally restored, this should STOP.  And
there's no reason for it to log hundreds of times a second.  Again,
the offer exists to compile with debugging symbols, and wait patiently
for this to happen again, if someone can just tell me what to do to
get the debugging symbols in.  Would a corefile be useful if I forced
it to dump one in this case?  Is there a better medium to contact
(like the dev. group?)

Why is the thing saying "No Addresses found for Root" when the
addresses and the names are RIGHT THERE in root.hints?  What's it
querying?  The error is less than helpful.

I'm not looking to work around a configuration that SHOULD work, I'm
looking to find out why this one doesn't.

If anyone can offer any pointers in that direction, please let me
know.