Weird characters appended after filename

Al Sparks data345 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 00:48:27 UTC 2004

I run BIND 9.2.2.  I also use 2 views (if that's pertinent), internal
and external.

When my slave sever running BIND version "named 8.3.4-REL" loads the
zone file for that domain, it creates a file in accordance with my
named.conf file, but then adds weird characters to the filename.  Also
the file remains empty.  The file eventually disappears, but will
reappear for a time if I query that slave server for a member domain.

An administrator of another server that loads that zone noticed the
same behavior (unknown what version he's running).  An example of the
file name is
   db.somedomain.org.z2wXKd
with the ".z2wXKd" being the appended characters to the filename that
it's supposed to be.

If this has been answered before, sorry.  Google's no help.
   === Al