How to Point NetworkSolutions to my Name Server?

Phil S stff4me at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 21:51:46 UTC 2004

As a confused newbie I have read DNS & BIND, set up and configured a v
test DNS Name Server on my tiny local network (NAT behind a Comcast
dynamic IP), and now I want to test it by using an idle domain name I
registered with Network Solutions.

At Verisign's site I can point to two name servers, but I cannot use
my dynamic IP address as a Name Server  ... I need a  name server with
a domain name ... I am confused by what looks like a chicken-and-egg
problem.

I suppose in the real world, I would put a DNS Name Server  up on
someone else's established network??

My dynamic IP lasts for weeks at a time, and I only want to use it to
test my DNS setup, but I can't figure out how to set this up a name
server with my ISP.

Thanks,

Clueless in San Francisco.