.net delegation question

Ketil Froyn isc_bind at ketil.froyn.name
Wed Mar 24 19:55:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 17:54, CharlesH wrote:

> So you are saying other domains use ns2.9t5.net in their NS records?
> But if this domain is on "REGISTER-HOLD", why aren't they just out
> of luck?  Why should the glue record stay around if the registrar has
> "suspended" the domain?

It is possible that another domain is using that name server, yes.
Otherwise, why would it show up in your logs?

It seems to me good practice to leave the glue in the zone as long as
the domain exists in the registry. The registry/registrars are providing
a paid for service, after all, and if they are nice, the chances of
keeping customers are greater. The domain 9t5.net doesn't work, but any
domains using name servers registered under 9t5.net still work. If you
really want to get to the bottom of this, however, this is a policy
issue you will have to ask Joker and/or Verisign about.

Most importantly, there is definately nothing wrong with this behaviour,
yet it is blocked by a badly configured BIND resolver.

Ketil Froyn
ketil at froyn.name
http://ketil.froyn.name/