GTLD Servers Report Different IP Address Than Zone Files

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Mar 29 08:42:42 UTC 2004

    >> BTW, it's stupid and pointless to use a whois server to check
    >> on what information is in the DNS. These are different
    >> protocols and they provide different data.

    Stephane> They should not. Any serious registry should do whatever
    Stephane> it cans to avoid discrepancies between the two sources.

Of course. But that is beside the point. DNS is not whois and whois is
not DNS. And since they're not the same, discrepancies between the two
will exist even if they provided the same data. Which they don't. DNS
and whois are different protocols after all. The point I was making
was if someone wants to find out what's in the DNS, they have to
consult a name server, not a whois server.