What portions of IPv6 DNS is deprecated?

Dan Foster usenet at evilphb.org
Sat Mar 27 18:41:32 UTC 2004

I've dug up conflicting stories on what is deprecated vs what is to be
deprecated vs what is standards compliant and what is not, along with
seeing a glimpse of how messy the politics is between IETF WG vs
implementors. ;)

So far, I seem to have determined that:

	ip6.int is deprecated
	bitstring format is deprecated

	ip6.arpa is preferred
	nibble format is preferred

Is that accurate? Or did I get it backwards?

I'm starting 'tabula rasa' with IPv6 DNS so I don't really have 'legacy
crud' to worry about although I don't mind accommodating older apps.

Also, what is the preferred and hopefully non-deprecated way of doing
delegations of inverse zones?

The BIND v9 ARM suggests using DNAME for this, but research suggests
DNAME itself is to be deprecated any time now, if not already, so I'm
just a little confused/unsure.

Suggestions or comments, please? Thanks!

-Dan