Private network, and named still looks for root servers?

Brook Harty harty at ironwolve.com
Sat Mar 27 18:27:56 UTC 2004

Simon Waters wrote:
> Brook Harty wrote:
>>Questions, is this normal behavior?
>
> Yes
>
>>Are root servers built in?
>
> Obviously given what you've seen. The Internet root.hints is hardcoded
> (if you don't have your own) as a "sensible" default.
>
>>How do I fix it.
>
> master "."
> Or
> Create a local "root.hints" using your own root servers.
>
> Since your DNS really does want to be rooted <pun intended>.
>
> I assume disabling recursion should fix it as well.

Thanks Simon, master "." and no recursion together fixed it on a test box.

I couldn't find the answers in any FAQ's or searching google for DMZ, no
root, or no forward.  Also couldn't find it in the Oreilly bind book,
maybe I didnt know what to look up.

The only thing that came up was "no forwarders", Maybe this post will be
searchable and help someone else out.

Thanks for the answer.

	-Brook