Private network, and named still looks for root servers?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 21:31:54 UTC 2004

Brook Harty wrote:

> Also couldn't find it in the Oreilly bind book,
> maybe I didnt know what to look up.
Cricket explains running your own root servers rather well I thought.
But I think you have to read most of the book to get the big picture.

The big pain, if you are a large organisation, is planning to allow
Internet DNS resolution in future, if you want a private root now.

The O'Reilly book doesn't have a magic easy migration path for that one.
You can plan evil things with forwarders - but better to leave it as a
problem for the future IMHO.

(Mixed systems that need to talk to both the Internet and the inside can
be fun as well, partly because most people who do this sort of thing
have stringent security policies).

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature