reverse lookup record?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 30 04:05:05 UTC 2004

In article <c49ret$70s$1 at sf1.isc.org>, MrPlow <desolate19 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> In trying to determine why email from my domain is being blocked by AOL
> I came to this page
> http://postmaster.aol.com/info/rdns.html
>
> I'm looking specifically at this bit:
> "Reverse DNS must be in the form of a fully-qualified domain name ^
> reverse DNSes containing in-addr.arpa are not acceptable, as these are
> merely placeholders for a valid PTR record."
>
> My PTR record looks like this:
>
> 137     IN      PTR     dataentropy.com.
>
> and it's in the file for zone "238.55.69.IN-ADDR.ARPA"
> so, wouldn't that mean that the record actually reads:
>
> 137.238.55.69.IN-ADDR.ARPA.	IN	PTR	dataentropy.com.
>

> Is there anything wrong with that?

The problem is that this reverse zone isn't delegated to your name
servers, it's delegated to ns1c.johncompanies.com and
ns2c.johncompanies.com.  If they're your ISP, and they assigned this /24
to you, you need them to submit an ARIN reassignment to get the reverse
DNS delegated to your servers.  If they assigned a block smaller than
/24 to you, you need them to implement RFC 2317 reverse delegation of
the block (you'll need to rename your reverse zone in accordance with
their delegation scheme).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA