Ip addresses*

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri May 14 11:50:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:35:24PM -0800,
 711net <gerald at parsonshosting.com> wrote
 a message of 7 lines which said:

> I have a fare idea of how name resolution works, But does anyone
> know how, when I type in an IP address how I end up at that
> computer.

This is called "routing" and is well explained in TCP/IP books like
Comer's or Huitema's. As you say, it has nothing to do with DNS.

> There must be some kind of server that keeps the maps to where these
> machine that match up with IP's are located.

Not really. The "maps" (they are called "routing tables") are
exchanged between routers and distributed throughout the
Internet. Unlike the DNS, where a name has nothing to do with the
location (www.foobar.fr could be in Japan) or the provider, IP
addresses are more strongly connected to the real world :-)