Quick changeover to new ISP

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 14 20:58:03 UTC 2004

In article <c82vv1$gg7$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 nedtrilby at hotmail.com (Ned Trilby) wrote:

> Hopefully someone can suggest a straightforward solution to my problem
> of recovering a website using a new ISP.
> This is my scenario: my customer runs his website "www.abc.com" from
> his own site with ISP "ACME ISP". If his building burns down he comes
> to my site and restores his website as normal; but my ISP is "XYZ ISP"
> and I believe it can take up to 48 hours for the the route to the
> website through the new ISP to be widely known.

You mentioned "the route to the website".  If you're talking about
Internet routing, without changing the server's IP address, BGP can
switch this over in about a minute.

> Is there any method where I can have a backup web name to ip address
> resolution in readiness at the "XYZ ISP" which can kick in as soon as
> the machine is plugged in ?

Now you seem to be talking about name resolution, not routing, which
makes it relevant to this group.

The only thing in DNS that takes 48 hours to propagate is delegations
from the .COM servers.  As long as the disaster doesn't affect all his
DNS servers, you shouldn't need to change this.  Just change the A
record in the abc.com zone file, and this will propagate in the time
specified by its TTL.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA