one machine two domians

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Sat May 15 21:37:56 UTC 2004

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <rmvg at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Thanks again but i believe i already an A record for my computerking.ca
> zone this is my db.computerking.ca.external file.  Should not the first
> line after ; ADDRESSES FOR THE CANONICAL NAMES ( A records) act the same
> as computerking.ca.  it is just a blank with no dot  or am i confused
> about origins and need the computerking.ca. line that you propose

You are confused: a blank first field means use the previous first
field, which in that case is "shoemasters", shoemasters.computerking.ca.

For the same reason, your MX records are also attached to shoemasters
rather than to computerking.ca.

> shoemasters     IN NS           ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.
>
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ; MAIL EXCHANGERS
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 IN MX           10 mail1.computerking.ca.
> ;               IN MX           15 mail1.computerking.ca.
>                 IN MX           20 mail1.highcoup.ca.
>
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ; ADDRESSES FOR THE CANONICAL NAMES ( A records)
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ;                IN A            68.146.233.221

The above A record would set an address for shoemasters.  If you want to
as the first field, or reset $ORIGIN.

> *>>>>>>>>>>>Would this work as a zone file for sculpturaldesign.ca* is
> it ok to leave a blank for the A record or do i need to type
> sculpturaldesign.ca.   IN A  68.146.233.221

Leaving a blank first field there is not OK.

> I added the line and now it seems to display a web page but it not the
> right one oh well i can fix that later
>
> ;==============================================================================
> ; /usr/local/etc/namedb/pz/db.sculpturaldesign.ca.external
> @v22.computerking.ca
> ;==============================================================================
> $TTL 7200
> ;
> ; Origin added to the names not ending in a dot         sculpturaldesign.ca
> ;
> @ IN SOA sculpturaldesign.ca. root.sculpturaldesign.ca. (
>         2004051402      ; serial
>         10800           ; refresh after 3 hours(s)
>         3600            ; retry after 1 hour(s)
>         604800          ; expire after one week(s)
>         3600 )          ; Negative caching TTL of 1 hour(s)
>
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ; NAME SERVERS (the name @ is implied)
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.
>                 IN NS           ns1.highcoup.ca.
> shoemasters     IN NS           ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.
>
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ; MAIL EXCHANGERS
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 IN MX           10 mail1.computerking.ca.
> ;               IN MX           15 mail1.computerking.shoemasters.ca.
>                 IN MX           20 mail1.highcoup.ca.
>
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ; ADDRESSES FOR THE CANONICAL NAMES ( A records)
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ;              IN A            68.146.233.221

Same problem as above, the blank inital field means these MX/A records
attach to shoemasters.

That, or use one of the @/$ORIGIN methods.

> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ; ALIASES
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> www                     IN CNAME        v22

That won't work: you don't have a v22 in this zone.

> *>>>>>>>>>>>>This is the reference in my named.conf file

>                 zone "233.146.68.in-addr.arpa" {
>                 type master;
>                 file "pz/db.68.146.233";
>                 };

That zone doesn't appear to have been delegated to you by shawcable.net.

> *>>>>>>>>>>>>I added a PTR record for sculpturaldesign.ca like below *
> *Do I need a PTR record for computerking.ca like the one commented out
> below because all i have is  the v22.computerking.ca record. *

Might need it, might not; depends what's looking for it.

> ;==============================================================================
> ; /usr/local/etc/namedb/pz/db.205.206.102     @v22.computerking.ca
> ;==============================================================================
> $TTL 7200
> ;
> ;Origin added to names not ending in a dot 102.206.205.68.in-addr.arpa

You seem to have changed IP addresses at some point.

> ;
> @ IN SOA computerking.ca.       root.computerking.ca. (
>         2004051503      ; serial
>         10800           ; refresh after 3 hour
>         3600            ; retry after 1 hour
>         604800          ; expire ofter one week
>         3600 )          ; Negative caching TTL of 1 hour
>
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ; NAME SERVERS
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.
>                 IN NS           ns1.highcoup.ca.
> shoemasters     IN NS           ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.

I don't think the shoemasters record should be in this zone file,
as it means shoemasters.233.146.68.in-addr.arpa.

> since it is now its own zone is that why i get the same webpage for
> computerking.ca and sculpturaldesign.ca now.

You said you had Apache set up with virtual servers for computerking.ca
and sculpturaldesign.computerking.ca (hence the CNAME).  Looks like
you need to config Apache to host sculpturaldesign.ca and presumably
www.sculpturaldesign.ca too.

> Ok everything seem to work great now however i have another question to
> ask you i am setting up virtual email accounts for sculpturaldesign.ca
> do i need an MX record for that domain.  As for the website can i put a

I would think so.

> CNAME back for sculpturaldesign.ca so apache will know where to look or
> is there another way now that sculpturaldesign has its own zone.

You can't have a CNAME for sculpturaldesign.ca as you have NS and A
records for it.  Again, look at the Apache config.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for