one machine two domians

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN rmvg at shaw.ca
Thu May 20 06:18:28 UTC 2004

Have read and reread the DNS and BIND book for the last couple of days
and decided to rewrite my db files without abbreviation ma bey i will
abbreviate when i fully understand.  Have gotten computerking.ca and
sculpturaldesign.ca domains to work fairly well however i cannot get the
shoemasters.computerking.ca to work externally it works fine internally
but i get

Server:  v21.highcoup.ca
Address:  198.53.146.238

*** v21.highcoup.ca can't find shoemasters.computerking.ca: Non-existent
host/domain

when i look for it from a remote server

So here are some questions hopefully to get the
shoemasters.computerking.ca domain working.
Do i need to list the shoemasters.computerking.ca in the A records for
the internal network ie the db.192.168.0 file should not have too
because it is not internal right? That would also make one less file to
change if my ip changes.  Probably i should just remove the commented
out line right??

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ADDRESSES POINT TO CANONICAL NAME
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
202.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.             IN PTR          computerking.ca.
202.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.             IN PTR          v22.computerking.ca.
202.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.             IN PTR          ns1.computerking.ca.
202.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.             IN PTR
mail1.computerking.ca.
;68.144.231.38.in-addr.arpa.            IN PTR
shoemasters.computerking.ca.

I have a IN PTR record for my db.68.146.233 file on computerking.ca
machine also i have a IN PTR record for computerking.ca on the
shoemasters machine

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; NAME SERVERS
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
233.146.68.in-addr.arpa.                IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.
233.146.68.in-addr.arpa.                IN NS           ns1.highcoup.ca.
233.146.68.in-addr.arpa.                IN NS
ns1.shoemasters.computerking.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ADDRESSES POINT TO CANONICAL NAME
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
221.233.146.68.in-addr.arpa.            IN PTR          computerking.ca.
221.233.146.68.in-addr.arpa.            IN PTR          sculpturaldesign.ca.
38.231.144.68.in-addr.arpa.             IN PTR
shoemasters.computerking.ca.

; end of file
;==============================================================================

Have added a A record an a name sever entry  for  the
shoemasters.computerking.ca domain on computerking.ca machine however
kinda confused about the NS record for shoemasters.computerking.ca is
this correct??

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; NAME SERVERS (the name @ is implied)
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
computerking.ca.                IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.
computerking.ca.                IN NS           ns1.highcoup.ca.
computerking.ca.                IN NS
ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.
shoemasters.computerking.ca.    IN NS
ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; MAIL EXCHANGERS
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
computerking.ca.                IN MX           10 mail1.computerking.ca.
computerking.ca.                IN MX           20 mail1.highcoup.ca.
computerking.ca.                IN MX           30
mail1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ADDRESSES FOR THE CANOCICAL NAMES ( A records)
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
computerking.ca.                IN A            68.146.233.221
v22.computerking.ca.            IN A            68.146.233.221
ns1.computerking.ca.            IN A            68.146.233.221
mail1.computerking.ca.          IN A            68.146.233.221
shoemasters.computerking.ca.    IN A            68.144.231.38

have mostly the same stuff on the shoemasters.computerking.ca machine
here is the db.shoemasters.computerking.ca.external

; NAME SERVERS (the name @ is implied)
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shoemasters.computerking.ca.            IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.
shoemasters.computerking.ca.            IN NS
ns1.shoemasters.computerking.
shoemasters.computerking.ca.            IN NS           ns1.highcoup.ca.
computerking.ca.                        IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; MAIL EXCHANGERS
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
computerking.ca.shoemasters.                IN MX           10
mail1.shoemasters.comp
computerking.ca.shoemasters.                IN MX           20
mail1.computerking.ca.
computerking.ca.shoemasters.                IN MX           30
mail1.highcoup.ca.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ADDRESSES FOR THE CANOCICAL NAMES ( A records)
shoemasters.computerking.ca.            IN A            68.144.231.38
v20.shoemasters.computerking.ca.        IN A            68.144.231.38
ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.        IN A            68.144.231.38
mail1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.      IN A            68.144.231.38
computerking.ca.                        IN A            68.146.233.221

I swear the site worked for a like an hour and now it has stopped
working again.  please help
Should i add another zone for shoemasters.computerking.ca I did not
think it was nessarsary because it is in the same domain right??