Want BIND 9.x to write ANYTHING into Syslog...

Chris De Young chd at arizona.edu
Fri May 21 23:36:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 11:24:53PM +0200, Axel Werner wrote:
> Hi NewsGroup!
>
> I tried several docs on bind but im still not sure and it seems its still
> not working. i want my BIND DNS Server (under SuSE 9.0) to log ANYTHING to
> Syslog (/var/log/messages) OR ANYTHING to a File. "ANYTHING" means. All
> Start/Stop, loading, refreshing and even QUERIES from Clients AND from the
> server to outaworld itself.

Well, if you're really serious about logging everything loggable, you
could use something more or less like this:

logging {
  channel log_all {
    syslog daemon;
    severity debug 99;
    print-category yes;
    print-severity yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
  category * { log_all; };
};

(Can you use a wildcard for the category?  I'm not sure, but it's easy
to check.  If not, list the ones you care about:

  category config { log_all; };
  category parser { log_all; };
  .
  .
  .  )

A word of caution: if your nameserver is at all busy, and probably
even if it's not, this level of logging is very likely to be far more
verbose than you really want...

-Chris