"Abusing" BIND DNS Server as Networked HOSTS File...

Axel Werner hostmaster at freiburg.homeip.net
Mon May 24 22:47:57 UTC 2004

Hi there Newsgroup!

I got a problem today and didnt find a solution yet. Maybe u guys can help
me out a bit.

Problem is, my Host uses multiple Hostnames and does have multiple domains.
Some for EXTERNAL (internet side) some for Internal (LAN) use.

So my Gateway/router is called "gateway.dyndns.org" from the Internet side
and "gateway.lan" on the lan side. For the LAN Clients i put a BIND 9.x DNS
Server on that Gateway too, to FORWARD non local request to ISPs DNS and to
resolve local requests for all networked clients. BUT...

but my Gateway/Router itself is called (HOSTNAME) "gateway.dyndns.org". (
etc/hosts etc.)

The Gateway does do routing+NAT (Masq) on the internet-IF PPP0:.

Now, if a Networked Client does a nameresolution like "nslookup gateway.lan"
it will say "192.168.0.1" as it is right. But if the client askes for
"gateway.dyndns.org" the Client will get the PUBLIC IP of the
Gateway-Server on its PPP0 IF.

Now, i would like the DNS to Return the Clients his LAN Adress insted of its
EXT IF Adress. BUT it should not think that it is MASTER Server of a Zone
called "dyndns.org" or something. So i guess its no good idea to put an
adidional Zone called "dyndns.org" on it, right?

But is there any "Quick n Dirty" solution to fix that? can i modify the
[ROOT].zone file for example and add one or two of these DynDNS Hostnames
there with an "A" Record??

Any suggesstions?

SORRY for my worse english!

Thanks for any help!