DNS lookup problem

Arunkumar elr_arunkumar at yahoo.co.in
Mon May 31 08:34:13 UTC 2004

Hi

 Though this subject has been already discusses at many places,im
unable to get the clue.Here is my problem.In my office (LAN),server
and client are running at different PC.After DNS entry of server PC is
removed from DNS server,the page loading and every request & response
between client and server is very slow.It takes 2 minutes for each and
every request.As a workaround,i have written the test application

public class DnsName
{
    public static void main(String[] arg)
    {
        String ipaddress = "";
        String hostaddress = "";
        if(arg.length == 1)
        {
            ipaddress = arg[0];
        }
        else
        {
            System.out.println("!!!!!!Usage : java DnsName
<ipaddress>");
            System.exit(0);
        }
        System.out.println("Time before processing    : " +
System.currentTimeMillis());
        try
        {
            hostaddress =
(InetAddress.getByName(ipaddress)).getHostName();
        }
        catch(UnknownHostException uhe)
        {
            System.out.println("Exception occured " + uhe);
        }
        System.out.println("Ip address   : " + ipaddress);
        System.out.println("Host name    : " + hostaddress);
        System.out.println("Time after processing     : " +
System.currentTimeMillis());
    }
}

 When it was run on a linux PC,time difference betwwen process is
around 50ms,but when the same application is run in a Windows PC,the
time difference is around 4-5 seconds(4000ms).Can anyone tell me what
makes the difference in Windows??Does it anyway depend on the os of
DNS server??And coming to the real issue,is "configuring the server PC
in DNS server" is the only solution?When both the server and client
PCs are DNS configured i dont see any issue or slowdown.Any help would
be really appreciated

arunelr at adventnet.com
www.adventnet.com