Chained NS delegation: RFC compliant or not?

Andreas Meile andreas at hofen.ch
Tue Nov 2 13:03:06 UTC 2004

"Mark Andrews" <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:cls24m$2ubp$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> Well having nameservers not officially serve the zone they
> live in causes problems for older BIND 8 caching servers
> and BIND 4 caching servers (not that anyone should be running
> either of these anymore).  It also introduces more work for
> every other caching server.

I continued my researches. Meanwhile I can confirm that the problem
described in my original post occurs with BIND version 8.2.6 or older only
which could be exactly the caching issue you said. I also found an
interesting temporary work-around: When I first do a "nslookup
ns1.foobar.de" then an old BIND server will be able to resolve
www.site-i-want-visit.de so I normally can visit the desired web page. This
works until the cached DNS entry expires.

So when I have understood all your replies, that would mean that this web
hosting company has set up its name servers fully RFC compliant but
problematic for some older BIND resolvers which are still in use in a lot of
networks?

                 Andreas