Setting forwarders timeout in BIND9

Jan Harnisch blackhole at fgb.mw.tum.de
Wed Nov 17 14:55:40 UTC 2004

[ Repost because of local newsserver problems. Sorry. ]

Hi all,

in my Bind 9.2.1 configuration, I have three forwarders configured:

forwarders {
     129.187.65.2;
     129.187.44.217;
     129.187.10.25;
     };

Recently, the first forwarder went down. During this time, my Bind
continued querying the first (unavailable) forwarder until reaching the
timeout and querying the next. Unfortunately, this timeout is
uncomfortably long (long enough to reach the DNS timeout on some client
machines).
So, is there any way to reduce this timeout? Would e.g. configuring more
forwarders reduce the timeout (as it did with Bind v4), or is there a
better way?
Greetings&Thanks,

Jan

--
My From: address is valid, but for email please use Reply To:
The Reply To: address is valid without modification.