Lookup weirdness

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Nov 20 01:31:07 UTC 2004

    Mike> Ok, this has me baffled.  I'm running a primary/secondary
    Mike> DNS server, neither are able to resolve anything in the
    Mike> 152.158 domain (the example I am using is
    Mike> 152.158.16.48). Everywhere else on the 'Net I have tried
    Mike> can. The only anomaly I can find is that www.dnsstuff.com
    Mike> occasionally shows a bad delegation, this is a fault of one
    Mike> of the ARIN servers, which is delegating it to a now
    Mike> decommissioned ibm.net server.

This is not "a fault of one of the ARIN servers". ARIN's name servers
are only responding with the data they've been given. Garbage in,
garbage out. The responsibility for that problem doesn't rest with
ARIN either. The 158.152.in-addr.arpa zone administrator has screwed
up the delegation of this zone.

They have told ARIN to delegate the zone to ns01.ca.us.ibm.net, a
name that doesn't exist, and ns1.us.prserv.net, which does not answer
authoritatively for this zone. So it's no wonder reverse lookups for
152.158/16 are not working. Nobody can find authoritative name servers
for 158.152.in-addr.arpa. It looks like zone administrator has changed
the name servers for the zone and forgotten to tell ARIN so that the
delegation info in the parent zone gets changed.

I've cc'ed the whois contacts for this net. Hopefully one of them will
fix this.