Many '...query: . IN NS' in query log file

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Thu Oct 7 19:05:41 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 10/07/2004 04:35:32 AM:
> David Botham <DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com> wrote in
> news:ck1i5t$lso$1 at sf1.isc.org:
>
> >> client 81.206.200.71#1026: query: . IN NS
> >
> > I am fairly certain this log entry indicates that the computer at IP
> > address 81.206.200.71 is asking your name server for the NS RR's for
> > the root zone.
>
> It seems clear, but is this normal that those servers asks that every
ten
> second ?

Normal, I do not know.  Is it the same server that keeps asking?  Are
those servers in your network and authorized to use your name server for
resolution?  There are too many variables to answer that question. Perhaps
you can contact the admin of the system(s) in question and ask them what
is going on... If they are not in your network and not authorized to use
your name servers, use ACL's to exclude them...

Dave...