Query on forwarding in Bind 9.2.x

Lokesh K KLokesh at novell.com
Wed Oct 20 05:26:27 UTC 2004

But, it does work in BIND 4.X versions. So, I was wondering whether it's
a (compatibility) defect or misconfiguration.
In Bind 4.x, a server configured with  forwarding is able to serve
queries on both child domains and other domains. But, in Bind 9.2.x (may
be in 9.3.0 also), it is not able to serve requests on child domains, if
it has forwarders configured.

Lokeshj

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 10/19/2004 08:29:49 AM:
> I am doing some testing with Bind 9.2.x on SUSE Linux, and found
that
> query resolution to child zones through glue records is not working
if
> one or more forwards configured. Following is my test scenario.
Please,
> let me know if something is wrong with my configuration.
>
> 1. parent.com is a zone with a child zone child.parent.com. As
usual,
> parent.com has glue records pointing to Name servers of child zone.
> 2. parent.com name server has 3 forwarders configured and forwarding
is
> configured to forward first.
> 3. child.parent.com has a record called baby.
>
> With this configuration, if I query parent.com name server for
> baby.child.parent.com, query resolution fails.

Probably due to the fact that the name server has received a recursive

query (query coming from a client resolver) for data that resides in a

zone for which the name server is not authoritative.  With 'forwarding'

configured this behavior is normal.  However, if another name server
where
to ask, it would get the referral and follow the delegation.  You may
want
to consider not using forwarding...

hth,

Dave...