No address (A) records available for couchblip.com

Melinda Taylor melinda.taylor at unsw.edu.au
Fri Sep 10 00:35:54 UTC 2004

Hello,

Pleae excuse me if this message appears twice.

I am running a small server at home called couchblip.com. I have just
had to setup a DNS server for the very first time. I am running Fedora
Core 2 with bind-9.2.3-13 running in a chroot jail.

I have just noticed that I do not seem to have an A record for the
base domain name. ie couchblip.com. From an external site I try:

nslookup couchblip.com
Server:  usage.unsw.EDU.AU
Address:  149.171.192.2

*** No address (A) records available for couchblip.com

but the DNS appears to working ok other than that:

nslookup www.couchblip.com
Server:  usage.unsw.EDU.AU
Address:  149.171.192.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.couchblip.com
Address:  202.173.134.101

My zone is attached below. I am a bit confused as to what syntax I
would use to set it so that just the domain "couchblip.com" can be
looked up. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would
be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

melinda

PS at the moment I have reinstated my old isp's DNS server so that
couchblip.com is known, it should be reinstated in an hour or so but to
query my nameserver you can connect to 202.173.134.101

;
; Zone file for couchblip.com
;
; The full zone file
;
$TTL 3D
@       IN      SOA     ns1.couchblip.com. hostmaster.couchblip.com. (
                         2004083000       ; serial#
                         10800            ; refresh, seconds
                         3600            ; retry, seconds
     	                2592000         ; expire, seconds
                         600 )          ; minimum, seconds
;
                 NS      www             ; Inet Address of nameserver

couchblip.com.    MX      10 mail         ; Primary Mail Exchanger

;
localhost       A       127.0.0.1
www             A       202.173.134.101
mail            CNAME   www