No address (A) records available for couchblip.com

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Sep 10 01:15:10 UTC 2004

The simple answer is: add an A record with an owner name of
"couchblip.com".

You could either do that in the style of the couchblip.com SOA record
(owner name is literally "@"), the style of the couchblip.com NS record
(owner name is literally whitespace, which in master-file semantics
means it inherits the last non-whitespace owner name, which happens to
be "@") (by the way, you're required to have at least 2 nameservers for
your zone), or in the style of the couchblip.com MX record, where you
explicitly set the owner name to "couchblip.com." (don't forget the
trailing period, otherwise the origin will be appended, causing the
owner name to be parsed as "couchblip.com.couchblip.com.").

As you can see, master-file format gives one the flexibility to specify
resource records in a variety of different ways.

- Kevin