BIND 9.2.4rc8 Multithreading on Win32

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Sep 10 03:42:35 UTC 2004

At 11:15 PM 9/9/2004, Vinny Abello wrote:
>Hi Danny,
>
>First thanks for replying. I'll comment below...
>
>At 11:11 PM 9/9/2004, Danny Mayer wrote:
>>>I have three servers running BIND. One has two processors with
>>>hyperthreading (and BIND correctly identifies 4 CPU's in the event log when
>>>starting). On the other two servers there is only a single processor and
>>>BIND reflects that in the event log. If I start named.exe from the command
>>>line with -f -n4 it will show 4 processors in the event log.
>>
>>Well not really. It should say 4 worker threads or something like that.
>>That's what you're really forcing.
>
>Maybe you should double check what you're writing to the Event Log. It says:
>
>"using 4 CPUs"

Maybe. I had told Andreas some years ago that the message was incorrect
since it affected the number of threads and not the number of CPU's
being used. The -n switch is useful if it couldn't figure out the number of
CPU's or if you wanted it to use fewer CPUs/Threads.

>>>  If I modify
>>>the image path in the registry to do just -n4 and start it, it only shows 1
>>>CPU. Is this possibly a bug in named or at least the Win32 version? Does it
>>>require the -f to listen to the -n switch making it only useful when not
>>>running as a service?
>>
>>That's probably a bug in the code since the switch should be passed up
>>into the main code.
>
>Should I submit this as a bug then?

Yes, that should work.

>What I'm trying to accomplish is to make BIND continue responding to
>queries if I try to load a large RBL zone file. Is this the correct
>direction to go in, or does BIND still have trouble with doing this? Would
>increasing the number of I/O Completion Port worker threads allow BIND to
>continue responding to queries while it's loading a zone file?

In this case it might well be helpful since other worker threads are
available to respond to queries while it's downloading. I highly recommend
IXFR rather than AXFR for this zone.

Danny