DNS ROOT understanding

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Sep 29 05:55:20 UTC 2004

"Nicolas Li=E9nard" <nlienard at fr.colt.net> wrote:
>> > Is it a round robin ?
>> Yes, a modified with weights given to each of them based on RTT. In es=
sen=3D
>> ce
>> it will ask 13, but zooming into the "closest" but still now and then
>> send occational queries to the othes, in case something changed.
>>
>> I think you with rndc dumpdb will se this :
>> ; D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET [v4 TTL 81357] [v4 success] [v6 unexpected]
>> ;       128.8.10.90 [srtt 23212] [flags 00000000]
>> ; D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET [v4 TTL 80646] [v4 success] [v6 unexpected]
>> ;       128.8.10.90 [srtt 23212] [flags 00000000]
>>

>> ( taken with bind-9.3.0 )
>>

> Thanks for your quick answear.

> If i understand, that means if there is a root server not reacheable, h=
is
> RTT will increase and will be less solicited

Yes. All nameservers ( root servers are no exception) are monitored
and their "behavior" is tracked. It all rounds up to "use the closest
and best workings nameserver for a certain domain" but occationally=20
send a query to the more distant ones, updating the statistics.

> Is there a good way to monitore the life about Root Server ? (ping ? di=
g ?
> other ?)
> in order to be warn when there is a problem.
There are a few "bad onmes" ( ping dig nslookup) that share an unessercar=
burdon.=20

The Best Way (Tm) is keeping an eye on your nameservers logs. If there is
something wrong named will tell you.

>> Peter H=3DE5kanson        =3D20
>>
> Thanks and regards,
> Nicolas Li=E9nard

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,