DNS ROOT understanding

Paul Vixie vixie at sa.vix.com
Thu Sep 30 18:20:58 UTC 2004

> > The root servers are *CLOSELY* monitored by a large group already,
> > the operators themselves obviously included.
>
> Pure curiosity from me: who is this "large group"? Is it formally
> incorporated / chartered / etc? Or is it just an informal group of
> friends? Do they publish things like statistics of response times?

calling it a large group may have been a mistake.  it's a large number
of individuals and companies who each think that the root name server
system is very important and should be monitored.  some of them even
do periodic stress testing to make sure that we have enough headroom
(and then complain when we rate-limit them as a result).

please, no new monitors.  we get enough keepalive-style traffic as it is.
--
Paul Vixie