nsupdate to delete NS entry

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Apr 4 21:49:22 UTC 2005

BIJU KURIAN wrote:

>I got it...
>
>update delete test.com IN NS 3600 host1.test.com ...
>
>Thanks
>
>On Apr 4, 2005 2:28 PM, BIJU KURIAN <bcisco at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>How can i delete the following entry from test.com.db using nsupdate--
>>
>>test.com.         3600    IN      NS      host1.test.com.
>>
>>I usually manage test.com using nsupdate..
>>
>>for eg: nsupdate..> update add host2.test.com 86400 A 10.1.1.1

What version of nsupdate are you using? That syntax doesn't work for me:

% nsupdate
 > update delete test.com IN NS 3600 host1.test.com.
invalid rdata format: extra input text
 > %

Normally to make changes to the NS records in the parent zone, you need
to give the "zone" directive to nsupdate, e.g.

% nsupdate
zone test.com.
update delete test.com. ns host1.test.com.
send
%

If you don't tell nsupdate to update the records in the parent zone,
then it'll identify the zone to be changed as the "closest enclosing
zone" of the name being updated, which would be the child zone, which
you don't want.