BIND 9.x caching Performance under heavy loads

Sam Hayes Merritt, III sam at themerritts.org
Tue Apr 5 00:34:02 UTC 2005

> I've seen that, but on this particular box it is not an option I guess.
> The RBL on this machine is an non-free RBL and we are forced to strictly
> limit the addresses that are allowed to query this list.

ah yes, MAPS.

> We're in process moving the RBL queriers to a dedicated box which could
> be rbldnsd-powered (does anyone know whether rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org
> supports rsync or something similar?) with a BIND cache in front of it.

Not last time I checked. Reasons like this are why we are no longer
subscribers. The zone is just too large to keep copying via zone xfer, and
MAPS did not have IXFR working when we left (we spent many hours trying to
get it to work).

If they would convert to rbldnsd and rsync, we'd probably go back. But
there are other, free DNSBL that meet our needs.

sam