help with dns caching problem

Brent misterb at bmyster.com
Wed Apr 6 15:09:25 UTC 2005

hello.

We are currently using bind 9.2.4-rc7 on Solaris 9. We seem to be having an
issue with having to clear or flush the cache on our DNS servers so that
certain domains can be reached by our customers several times a week. The
domains in question are random and seem non-important (there not large domains
like google for example) its always some little known domains like

www.lowellsoftball.org
www.myha.com
www.majoasa.org

Our first thought was that those domains in question were changing thier DNS
entries for www and we had coched entries so we would just do a "rndc flush"
to force the server to go out and query the domains DNS directly. However this
seems to happen way to often. Also when this occures i check with other DNS
servers that i know of and they are always up to date where ours is not.

Another thought is that we are being hit to some form of a cache poisoning.

does anyone have any thoughts on this? as well as is the version of named we
are usging vulnerable to this form of attack ?

thank you

--
Brent Bailey CCNA
Bmyster LLC