How big is the DNS database being stored at the 13 root servers?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 15 01:07:33 UTC 2005

In article <d3m0eh$5es$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 02:36:23PM -0700,
>  Charles Cala <charles_cala at yahoo.com> wrote
>  a message of 98 lines which said:
>
> > it MUST be small because it is hit so often.
>
> No. BIND's response time does not depend a lot on the size of the
> database.

Up to a certain point.  BIND's thrashes badly if it can't keep most of
its database in RAM, and performance drops quite noticeably.

This is rarely a problem for the authoritative zones that a server
hosts, but heavily-used caching servers need plenty of RAM to avoid
hitting the knee of the performance curve.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA