How do I get h2n to delegate a subdomain to another server?

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Wed Apr 20 05:01:57 UTC 2005

> <MBernha at bart.gov> wrote:
>
> I am trying to figure out how to use h2n to delegate a subdomain. The
> nameservers for the parent don't need any records or db files for the
> subdomain other than NS info. What I want in the db file for the parent
> domain is:
>

>                     IN     NS     server1.domain.com.
>
>                     IN     NS     server2.domain.com.
>
> subdomain    IN     NS     server1.subdomain.domain.com.
>
>                     IN     NS     server2.subdomain.domain.com.
>

> Of course the glue records would be added in too. The subdomain uses
> 10.0.0.0/9 address space. The parent uses public address space so there's
> no addrerssing conflict.
>

> Here is my current config:
>
>         -d domain.com mode=D \
>
>         -n xxx.xxx:255.255.0.0 \
>
>         -T RR="                IN     MX 10    notes" \
>
>         -o 14400:600:864000:600:14400 -u me at domain.com. \
>
>         -h server1 \
>
>         -s server1.domain.com -s server2.domain.com
>

> I can't figure out how to get h2n to do what I need. When I use -S, it
> sets up a separate db file, which is not at all what I want. If I use -T
> it tells me that I have to use -s or -S.  Can anyone help me out? Am I
> missing something obvious? I am using version 2.55.

For things like DNS subdomain delegations, $GENERATE directives, and
custom DNS records, you must maintain a separate `spcl' file of these
records and directives which h2n can find and incorporate into your
db files.  From your example, the default filename that h2n expects
to find would be `spcl.domain' containing the following records:

  subdomain          IN     NS     server1.subdomain
                     IN     NS     server2.subdomain
  server1.subdomain  IN     A      10.x.x.x
  server2.subdomain  IN     A      10.x.x.x

Instead of appearing in the `spcl' file, these particular glue records
can also be generated by h2n by the following host file entries.

  10.x.x.x  server1.subdomain.domain.com
  10.x.x.x  server2.subdomain.domain.com

You can override the default `spcl' filename that h2n expects by
specifying the "spcl=<filename>" argument of the -d option.

Please contact me offlist if you have further questions.

Andris