9.3.1 problem/question

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Apr 23 01:18:42 UTC 2005

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> > In article <d40sqi$2ush$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Pavel Urban <urbanp at mlp.cz>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>our newly installed Bind 9.3.1 is having a problem resolving
> >>'www.silis.cz'. It resolves to CNAME pointing to 'silis.cz' - strange,
> >>but I dont's see anything wrong with it. But Bind fails to resolve
> >>'silis.cz' - while other DNS servers seem to have no problem with it.
> >>Can anybody tell me a reason/give me a hint what to do? Thanks!
> >

> > The delegation records for silis.cz all point to aliases.  This can
> > cause problems.
> >

> Is it prohibited/discouraged somewhere in RFCs? I'm not an administrator
> for this domain, I just want to explain to our customers why they are
> having problem resolving this domain using our nameservers...
>
> Thanks!

	It is not supported by the additional section processing
	rules and the glue handling rules.

	For it to work you would have to copy both the CNAME and
	address (A/AAAA) records as glue into the parent zone and
	you would have to change the additional section processing
	to follow CNAME records.

	Mark

> --
> Pavel Urban (pavel.urban at imaginet.cz)
> IOL system disaster
> Internet OnLine, owned by Cesky Telecom, a.s. (www.ct.cz)
>     Vegetables should not operate electronic equipment.
>            Computer Stupidities, http://rinkworks.com/stupid/

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org