Is caching necessary?

Lorenzo lorenzo at excitement.com
Sun Apr 24 23:00:47 UTC 2005

I have a DNS server setup for my home LAN. Yes, its a bit much, but
everyone needs a hobby. I was reading a message from a mailing list
where the poster said DNS caching is not necessary in many cases. He
went on to list reasons why, including the fact that one can avoid cache
poisoning. Of course, if one passes queries onto a poisoned server, the
result can be just as bad. But that aside, what are the benefits of
caching for someone like me? Currently, I forward my queries onto my
ISP, which if I understand things correctly, means I'm not caching
anyway.
TIA

--
"My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken"
--The Full Monty