Is caching necessary?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Apr 25 21:39:51 UTC 2005

Lorenzo wrote:

>I have a DNS server setup for my home LAN. Yes, its a bit much, but
>everyone needs a hobby. I was reading a message from a mailing list
>where the poster said DNS caching is not necessary in many cases. He
>went on to list reasons why, including the fact that one can avoid cache
>poisoning. Of course, if one passes queries onto a poisoned server, the
>result can be just as bad. But that aside, what are the benefits of
>caching for someone like me? Currently, I forward my queries onto my
>ISP, which if I understand things correctly, means I'm not caching
>anyway.

No, forwarding still caches, and you're benefiting from that caching
behavior. If you lose connectivity to your ISP's nameserver for more
than, say, a minute while you're web browsing, you'll *really* notice
the difference...

                                                         - Kevin

P.S. Why are you forwarding? Does your ISP block queries directly
between your nameservers and Internet nameservers?