resolv.conf

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sat Aug 13 18:40:06 UTC 2005

On Saturday 2005-August-13 12:46, Chris wrote:
> I actually have two questions, the first being about my
> /etc/resolv.conf.  I have in it 127.0.0.1 and the two addresses of
> Earthlinks DNS servers.  Should all three be there?  Also, when I

By having the ISP nameservers listed you will gain protection from
failures of your local nameserver. That sounds good, but I think it's
actually bad. A properly-running nameserver on working hardware and a
properly-configured OS should be quite reliable, likely more so than
your ISP's caching nameservers!

With ONLY 127.0.0.1 listed, DNS failures are easier to see and to fix.

> added the other two addresses I restarted named with service named
> restart and the following was noted:

Settings in resolv.conf control the system C libraries' resolver
functions. This is entirely unrelated to BIND.

> Stopping named: rndc: connection to remote host closed
> This may indicate that the remote server is using an older version of
> the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect,
> or the key is invalid.
>
> What might possibly be causing this?

Perhaps named wasn't running, or you've configured it to reject rndc(8)
connections from localhost, or the key is not valid. Any error
conditions will be logged at syslog priority WARN or higher.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header