dns_master_load issues

Lance Albertson lance at ksu.edu
Mon Aug 15 18:41:20 UTC 2005

I've encountered a rather annoying problem with bind 9.3.1 lately.
Whenever I start up named I get an error similar to this:
dns_master_load: pri/foo.com:2398: ran out of space
zone foo.com/IN: loading master file pri/foo.com: ran out of space

This error started after I changed all the origins from pointing to an
absolute subdomain to something more relative. Example...

$ORIGIN bar.foo.com.

Changed to...

$ORIGIN bar

This allowed me to control what gets appended to that subdomain via
named.conf. The goal of this is to share one file for two zones that
will need basically the same zone with maybe one or two modifications. I
tried messing with the datasize and stacksize settings in named.conf
with that ending up in a dead end.

I did see something similar to this in the FAQ talking about TXT records
not being closed properly. I checked my zone and all the TXT records
look fine.

Any help would be great, Thanks!

--
Lance Albertson