dns_master_load issues

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Aug 15 22:20:09 UTC 2005

> I've encountered a rather annoying problem with bind 9.3.1 lately.
> Whenever I start up named I get an error similar to this:
> dns_master_load: pri/foo.com:2398: ran out of space
> zone foo.com/IN: loading master file pri/foo.com: ran out of space
>
> This error started after I changed all the origins from pointing to an
> absolute subdomain to something more relative. Example...
>
> $ORIGIN bar.foo.com.
>
> Changed to...
>
> $ORIGIN bar
>
> This allowed me to control what gets appended to that subdomain via
> named.conf. The goal of this is to share one file for two zones that
> will need basically the same zone with maybe one or two modifications. I
> tried messing with the datasize and stacksize settings in named.conf
> with that ending up in a dead end.
>
> I did see something similar to this in the FAQ talking about TXT records
> not being closed properly. I checked my zone and all the TXT records
> look fine.
>
> Any help would be great, Thanks!
>
> --
> Lance Albertson

	"ran out of space" generally means that you exceeded a fixed
	buffer size.  Often this can be in a field of a TXT record but
	it can be with name etc.

	Note if you have

	$ORIGIN example.net.
	$ORIGIN foo
	$ORIGIN bar

	the effective $ORIGIN is

	bar.foo.example.net.

	Given you description of the problem I suspect that you have
	exceeded the maximum size of a domain name.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org