resolv.conf : What applications will be affected..

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 15 22:54:27 UTC 2005

blrmaani wrote:

>Sorry if this question is a repeat.
>
>I would like to know what applications are affected
>because of the changes in resolv.conf

Everything that uses DNS and does not have its own built-in resolver.
This set includes everything that uses the generic lookup get*by* (e.g.
gethostbyname()), where the system is configured to use DNS as one
source of name resolution through /etc/nsswitch.conf or the equivalent.

>A detailed analysis will be of great help.

Why? Is this a homework assignment? "Everything on the box that uses DNS
in stub-resolver mode" should be a sufficient answer to the question,
for all real-world, practical purposes...