resolv.conf : What applications will be affected..

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue Aug 16 08:25:26 UTC 2005

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> blrmaani wrote:
>

>>Sorry if this question is a repeat.
>>
>>I would like to know what applications are affected
>>because of the changes in resolv.conf
>>

> Everything that uses DNS and does not have its own built-in resolver.
> This set includes everything that uses the generic lookup get*by* (e.g.
> gethostbyname()), where the system is configured to use DNS as one
> source of name resolution through /etc/nsswitch.conf or the equivalent.
>

>>A detailed analysis will be of great help.

cd /bin
ls -l

cd /sbin
ls -l

cd /lib
ls -l
ls -l */*
(there could be more subdirectories ...)

cd /usr

cd /usr/local

That should get you some 85% of them.

If the list is not long enough look into the $PATH variable. That should
give you most of the rest.

Looking into the desktop details, depending on your operating system, X
and destop might give you some others.

Then look for all users into ~/bin

and finally send an email asking everybody wether they use something you
did not find yet.

There is mostly nothing on your computer that will not somday look into
DNS. If it does not - then put it into a shell script to do. :)

> Why? Is this a homework assignment? "Everything on the box that uses DNS
> in stub-resolver mode" should be a sufficient answer to the question,
> for all real-world, practical purposes...
>

>                                                             - Kevin

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--