Mult sub-domain -> same ip

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Aug 17 04:29:02 UTC 2005

In article <ddt7e4$8rr$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Wes" <theXYZtenor at XYZattXYZ.net> wrote:

> I'm don't have much knowledge about DNS but suspect that the folks at my web
> hosting company are also lacking.
>
> I had them create two subdomain entries in their DNS to point toward our
> local server
> hq1.dmihotels.com   and
> hq2.dmihotels.com
>
> Now from my ISP (comcast) I can get DNS responses for both. From another ISP
> I can only get response for the second and from a third ISP only for the
> first. I suspect it involves the way the DNS entries were created and the
> possibility that some DNS are less flexible in what they "allow" in terms of
> mapping IPs to (sub)domains.
>
> I did some cursory investigation into this but haven't found the definitive
> answer that would allow me to yell at my web hosting (and therefor DNS
> server) company.

It looks perfectly fine to me.  Both nameservers hosting your domain
have both A records.  I'm not sure what kind of "flexibility" you're
talking about, since there's nothing unusual about what you're doing.
These are just ordinary hostnames in a domain -- that's what nameservers
deal with all the time.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA