Master/Slave and Views

Enrique Diaz Jolly enrique at podernet.com.mx
Mon Aug 22 15:08:14 UTC 2005

Well, the best approach I ever found to this problem was running a mute,
blind nameserver which is the master master. In this Name server I had 2
instances of bind running separately. On the first instance I published
public zones on the second private zones and made all my border Name Servers
Slaves of the previous two. So, for instance the public view wold request
data for public zones from the first and the private view from the later..
This way I only have a common control center server and all my DNS were
slaves. It doesn't matter if they are announced as primary on thhe
registries as long as they are authoritative. This way I was able to publish
the same domains publicly and privately in differend fashions. Some domains,
either public or private used common and public tables and some others
different as there exist some private addresses on the private zones. The
only trouble was notify for common (name) zones as they were not updated
based on notify but SOA.