journal file too large

McClure, Jeff jmcclure at wideopenwest.com
Mon Aug 22 15:52:37 UTC 2005

Folks,

I am hoping that someone can confirm what I have done is ok and also
answer a couple of questions for me.

I am running BIND 9.2.4rc6 in dynamic update mode for an internal
application. The other day the server stopped answering queries and
responded with SERV FAIL.  Upon investigation I found that the journal
had reached its max limit of 2GB.  I do not set any limits on its size
in the named.conf file.  I ran rndc stop, renamed the journal file and
restarted named.

Was this the correct method to handle this situation or is there a
better way?

Where does the 2GB limit come from - bind or O/S?

Thanks for your assistance...